Francesca (she/her) is a Maltese illustrator and picturebook maker based in Edinburgh, Scotland.
She received her MA in Illustration at the University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh College of Art). Her aim is to tell whimsical stories full of magic and emotion, driven by dynamic characters that help people to connect with the work in a meaningful and engaging way. The themes surrounding inclusivity, mental health and well-being are an important part of her practice, with the final project of her Masters in Illustration (Edinburgh College of Art) focusing on childhood trauma and grief. She often combines her illustrative work with material such as textiles, book art and paper cutting as an additional layer for her storytelling.
She has so far illustrated 5 children’s books including a Maltese adaptation of ‘The House that Sneezed’ (2020) and the award-winning, Maltese children’s fiction series of ‘Irvin Vella, Virtual Investigator’ (2021, 2022).
Instagram / Facebook / Twitter / Links
Read more about what Frannie Gee Illustration is about here.
2022 – Irvin Vella: Il-Każ tal-Ħabsi bla Ħtija. Published by Merlin Publishers
2021 – Irvin Vella: Il-Każ tat-Tfajla Maħtufa. Published by Merlin Publishers
2020 – Il-Kaxxa tal-Memorji.
2020 – Il-Familja Frattarija. Published by Merlin Publishers
2017 – K-T-B. Published by Merlin Publishers
2022 – Edinburgh College of Art Graduate Show (MA Illustration)
2021 – The 20s Take Two. Online exhibition, ARTZID, Christine X Gallery Malta
2020 – ARTNA. Online exhibition, Malta Community of Illustrators
2019 – The Levi’s Trucker Jacket Design Contest. Malta
2018 – QATRA QATRA. Café Society, Valletta, Malta
2017 – DISTORJA. MARIE Gallery5, BFA in Digital Arts Course, University of Maa
2022 – Masters in Illustration at the Edinburgh College of Art, Edinburgh
2017 – Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours) in Digital Arts at the University of Malta
AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
2020 – Featured in the Malta Illustrator’s Annual 2020
2017 – 1st Place at the Literary Art Contest at the National Book Festival in Malta
TALKS & EVENTS
2023 – Artists’ Bookmarket 2023, Fruitmarket Gallery
2022 – Visiting lecturer at the Edinburgh College of Art (University of Edinburgh)
– Myth of Celtic Goddess Inspires Festival Artwork: BBC – June 2022
– Belladrum reveal the Cailleach by winning artist Francesca Grech: the Inverness Courier – May 2022
– Meet Illustrator and Digital Artist Francesca Grech : ARTZ ID – July 2021
– Artwork featured in GOLDFOIL Magazine – March 2021
– 10 Upcoming Female Artists to Look Out for on the Network : ARTZ ID – March 2021
– Artwork featured in OVERDUE Magazine – Feb 2021
– ‘Il-Familja Frattarija’ : Malta Community of Illustrators – Illustrators Annual 2020
– ‘The Balcony in C-Major’ : Bologna Children’s Online Special Edition Book Fair 2020, Online Illustrators Wall – May 2020
– ‘These 8 Up-And-Coming Visual Artists are Taking Malta by Storm’ : Lovin Malta – August 2019
– ‘Are You What You Drink?’ : Times of Malta by Jessica Arena – November 2018
You must be logged in to post a comment.